Rotherham United 0 - West Bromwich Albion 4
||Saturday 22nd December 2018
||Sky Bet Championship
, Adarabioyo , Dawson , Hegazi , Gibbs , Phillips (Morrison, 78 ), Livermore , Barry (Brunt, 58 ), Barnes , Rodriguez , Gayle (Robson-Kanu, 81 )|
Unused subs: Myhill, Sako, Mears, Harper
Manager: Darren Moore
||Gayle (6, 44, 54), Barnes (20)
||10,593 Home Fans
Away Fans |
|Submit your ratings for this game by clicking here:
||Ratings submitted so far: 8
Solid performance in what is a big week for our ambitions.
No complaints with the lineup and we started well, keeping the ball and moving it around.
We were a goal up before anything really happened and from then on, for most of the game, it was a case of being gritty and sensible when we were defending and looking like we might score every time we attacked.
I didn’t think going in 3 up at halftime was fair on Rotherham as they were well in it for spells but we got some breaks and our finishing was ruthless apart from Rodriguez.
The fourth goal after the break killed it and we saw the game out with a few subs.
Overall it was a decent display - we grafted well and our quality was too much for them, as it should be given our mutual budgets.
In the end we were a bit lucky to get the clean sheet but I thought our back 4 and Livermore were pretty good and look loads more comfortable now - the what-ifs of waiting a dozen games or so before doing this hopefully won’t cost us at the end of the year.
A big 2 games coming up now - we need to keep the pressure up on the top 2.
- SJ - 7 Some decent saves and some good takes. Some of the balls out invited too much risk for me.
- Tosin - 6 Was pretty good apart from the pen. Useful.
- Daws - 7 Solid, defended well.
- Hegazi - 8 Loved it and saw lots of the ball. Some big headers.
- Gibbs - 7 Cruise control at this level.
- Barry - 6 Thought he did enough, quality when it mattered.
- Livermore - 7 Covered lots of ground, always offered himself as an option.
- Phillips - 6 Sparked into life a few times but didn’t have to get out of 2nd gear.
- Gayle - 8 Great running, didn’t always look after the ball but our best pure goal scorer since Kevin Phillips.
- JRod - 6 Worked hard and contributed but not sure I’d start him in big games.
- Barnes - 8 Really good. Found lots of pockets of space and enjoyed himself. Best he’s played in a front 3.
- Brunt & Mozza - Basically saw the game out although Brunty’s touch was ropey.
We were 4 nil up Big Dave - give Harper a good 25 minutes FFS, otherwise it was a job well done.
New York City (aka Rotherham) v West Brom
First time back in Rotherham since Big Dave scored from the halfway line.
Must say though, I cannot think of a place less like New York City than Rotherham!
Player ratings as follows:
- Johnstone(6.5) - One good save from a close range header second half but little to do otherwise. Coming out to get crosses remains his main development point.
- Adarabioyo (6) - Still a centre half having to play at full back. His height does give us something in the air you don't normally get with a full back. Not under pressure form a tricky winger today, and certainly not under any pressure from a "marauding" Joe Fattock. But stupid challenge for their penalty brings his score down to 6.
- Gibbs (7) - Just solid in all he did. And joined the attack usefully at times.
- Dawson (7.5) - Battled when he needed to, some good blocks and headers away. Passing also better today.
- Hegazi (8) - If he keeps this up he may lose his Hegazi Kamikaze nickname. Even ran forward with the ball Beckenbaur like once in the second half.
- Phillips (6) - One of his quieter games, and played deep most of the time. But quality cross for Gayle's second goal.
- Barnes (8) - Not everything came off but he is what opponents would class as a "dangerous" player. When he gets the ball, with any space at all in front of him, you feel your expectations rising in a way a Koumas, young Lee Hughes, or even Laurie Cunningham made you feel.
- Gayle (9) - MOM not just for his 3 goals but his passes, running off the ball, and 100% effort. The Championship equivalent of Mo Salah.
- Barry (5.5) - Very different to his MOM performance last Friday. Got caught in possession for being too slow a couple of times but when he got subbed it did give the West Brom fans the opportunity to sing his signature song.
- Rodriguez (5) - Clear water between him and Dwight Gayle today. Passing a little astray and never looked like scoring legitimately. Perhaps the 'Hand Of Rod' remains his best weapon!
- Livermore (6.5) - Don't recall him making any mistakes, which I suppose is what is required from a defensive midfielder.
Subs - All 3 on for a short period when the game was already won.
Big Dave - Growing in to the role, but if he cannot give Bakery Sako minutes on the pitch when 4-0 up, when will he?